The well-known drug used primarily for hair loss in men, Proscar, consists mainly of Finasteride. This pharmacological substance can also treat other conditions, such as benign prostatic hypertrophy and prostate cancer. Anyway, most people use this medication for hormonal baldness, or androgenetic alopecia. The FDA has approved such a use more than 30 years ago.
How can Proscar fight hair loss?
In most simple words, the drug blocks the action of the enzyme which is responsible for androgenetic alopecia. Due to this, thinning and loss of hair stop, and in many cases hair follicles even get restored. Of course, totally bald patients cannot get all their hair back. Therefore, better start the treatment as soon as possible.
A major advantage of Finasteride lies in its ability to selectively inhibit the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone from testosterone, thus having no antiandrogenic or androgenic effects.
Is Proscar really effective?
According to various studies, the majority of patients call the results of treatment satisfactory. Only about 1% complains of ineffectiveness of this medication. The rest divide into two equal groups: in the first one, hair stops to fall, and in the other, it growth back.
When talking about main advantages of Proscar in comparison with other means, such as cosmetics, doctors particularly list its effectiveness for hair loss in the frontal area. The main disadvantages include the need for a fairly long (at least 3 months) treatment, and possible side effects. Still, unpleasant conditions as a consequence of taking these pills seem to be quite rare, in 1 to 3% of patients.
In women, Finasteride seems less effective than in men, particularly in the postmenopausal period, when hair loss occurs mainly because of the drop in estrogen levels.
How to use the medicine properly?
If you want to stop hair loss, learn the main three rules for using Proscar: choose the right dose, tale the pills systemically, and get ready to continue treatment for at least three months. Thus, you will guarantee yourself the maximum effectiveness of anti-baldness therapy.
Here we list some practical tips on using the medicine:
- Swallow the tablets whole, following with a glass of water. You can take them both during meals or separately from food.
- Try to start with a dose of 1 mg. Normally, it helps most patients to prevent uncontrolled hair loss.
- Take a pill every day, any time you wish, but preferably at the same time.
- Before starting the treatment course, carefully study the instructions for use. First of all, make sure you do not have contraindications.
- If you want to use the medication along with cosmetic products for hair loss, better consult a dermatologist first.